Tuesday 21 March 2017

Spring cleaning & where to offload/upcycle unusual items so they can be used again (if you dont want to recycle or dump at an op shop)



There is no time like the present to do some decluttering. I always recommend finding someone you personally know who could use what you can't. That way you know it won't sit in an op shop collecting dust. Why not organize a swap picnic where everyone brings their unwanted random items. However not everyone will want your cast offs so here are my recommendations if you don't know anyone who could personally use it nor want to rely on recycling.


(I have made easter chicken wings out of scrap fabric, a produce bag & handkerchiefs out of baby muslim wraps).

 
(I have even cut up old clothes to make pajama pants for Kobe & even a cooking apron, small fabric scraps can go in the compost).
  • Flannel pajamas- cotton rounds (for cleansing) or covers to wrap sores then paper tape.
  • Old clothes- tshirt bags or if still in good condition dress up box or dish cloths.
  • Sheets to cleaning rags.
  • Baby blankets- sew into produce bags.
  • Old costumes/dress up clothes to school kindy or pre-primary.
  • Muslin wraps- fairy wings, capes (thanks Sam for the idea:)), produce bags, handkerchiefs.
  • Old towels- again to animal shelters. There was an outbreak of parvovirus a few years back at an animal shelter so they had to burn all the bedding. They were so grateful to receive.
  • Buttons/ wool- school or local craft groups (some are advertised in the local paper you just need to drop off).

  • Egg cartons to Fruit loop (in Pickering Brook). Time it for fresh fruit or a lunch at an eatery. They do have a cafe onsite too.
  • Empty clean jars to a bulk food shop like Wasteless Pantry in Mundaring.  Wasteless pantry has also put a call out for empty essential oil bottles. Although I took a stack to the school as they had a call out for jars. I have some lovely friends (thank you Louie & Haelee) who keep their empty Moccona jars for me, I'm mad for using these to store flour & pantry items.

  • Books- host a book exchange, or I saw a bookswap at Dome cafĂ© & my local library, plus Save the children host an annual massive book drive.
  • Magazines to school art or kindy (double check first).
  • Newspaper- school art class or cleaning the BBQ. I give my Sunday times newspaper to my sister for a second read.
  • Gift cards; upcycle to gift tags.

  • Tyres to DIY compost. Its what I do to deal with extra fruit/veggie waste. I now have a worm farm too (thank you Kaysey for the worms:)).
  • Any stall holder at your local market would happily take any unwanted plant pots.
  • Broken plates- mosaic project (you could jazz up a plain plant pot).

  • Toys- community playgroup.
  • Puzzles- good condition ones to Kindy or Preprimary.
  • Stuffed toys- the hardest to get rid of. I wouldn't recommend to a dog shelter as they are easily ripped up then go to landfill. I have reused the stuffing from my pregnancy body pillow for a bean bag. I have had to store the bean bag away until I am certain Dylan won't drown in it.
  • Pet toys- good condition rubber toys to animal shelters. It would brighten up the day to any neglected animal.

  • Canned food- Foodbank or Ayla are desperately chasing some tin goods for their hampers. (Racheal your amazing for your beauty donations:))
  • Personal care products- Again Ayla are chasing some for their hampers.

If all else above fails; advertise on Gumtree or Facebook what you have to give away.

I hope this helps to save items out of landfill & if you have any more ideas please share in the comments below.

Happy Tuesday friends!
Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment